With the Part-Time Jobs Fair next Tuesday 10th October 2017, 12pm-2pm in Our Place, we thought it would be great to talk about why a part-time job is great for your future career.
Part-time work can often just feel like a necessary part of student life, an essential top up to your maintenance loans. But, part-time jobs are much more than that in the eyes of your future employer. This blog names the top 5 skills you show graduate employers through part-time work, plus a run down of the best places to look for a Christmas temp job which often turn in to great long term part time roles.
- Commitment. While your peers were spending Saturdays on netflix, your regular part-time job shows commitment. The determination and motivation to hold down regular work during student life.
- Working under pressure. Lots of part-time roles, like retail or hospitality, are fast paced and high pressure. If you can keep 12 tables of customers happy on a busy Saturday shift then you can definitely work well under pressure.
- Organisation and time-management. Balancing the routine of a part-time role and the rest of your studies is a tough act. Making it through university with a job and achieving great results demonstrates great organisation and your abilities to manage your time and priorities well.
- Team work. Your part-time job probably has you working alongside a team of colleagues. Knowing how to fit in to a team dynamic and remain motivated and motivate others in an essential skill for nearly all graduate jobs.
- Customer awareness. At a guess, your part-time job has you dealing with people on every shift. Understanding the customers needs and making them a priority in your working practice is a stand-out skill in graduate recruitment.
So who is hiring for part-time seasonal roles this Christmas?
- Argos // hiring from August // http://argos.careers/xmas/
- Asda // hiring from October // https://www.asda.jobs/search-all-vacancies/
- Boots // hiring from August // https://www.boots.jobs/
- Co-op // hiring from August // https://jobs.coop.co.uk/
- Debenhams // hiring from October // http://debenhams-careers.com/
- Dunelm // hiring from September // https://www.dunelmcareers.com/
- John Lewis // hiring from August // contact local stores
- M+S // hiring from September // http://careers.marksandspencer.com/
- Next // hiring from November // https://careers.next.co.uk/
- Poundland // hiring from August // contact local stores
- Tesco // hiring from September // https://www.tesco-careers.com/
- The Works // hiring from September // contact local stores