Getting into Social Work

Welcome to our Social Work blog, the follow up from our ‘Get into Social Work’ talk, delivered in the Employability Hub in October 2017.

When considering this career, you need to make sure that Social Work is right for you.

You can find out more about the role by speaking to people you may know who work in Social Work. You can attend the Get in to Social Work talks arranged through My Events on My Careers Centre, and you can find out more by visiting these very useful websites:

Hope offer both a Social Work undergraduate degree and a Social Work Masters, both are accredited through the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC). In order to become a registered Social Worker you need to have completed a Social Work qualification, which has been approved via:


You need to make sure that you have the correct qualification for the region in which you would like to practice as a Social Worker.

Social Work (BA) Applications have to be in normally by the middle of January for September 2018 Start.

Social Work (MA) – You should start application from now, once this course is full, it is full. This applies to any Social Work MA from any University.  Some Universities have a January and September cohorts. You need a degree with a 2:1 grade or above with at least GCSE grade C in Maths and English (or equivalent).

For Social Work courses, you need to be able to demonstrate that you are interested in and have a good understanding of Social Work. Some universities ask that you have a specific amount of time working within a role that is relevant to social work. You need to have relevant experience in a social work or social care setting before being accepted on to the postgraduate course. Gain as much work experience as possible, either through paid positions in community care settings or by undertaking relevant voluntary work. Some universities specify a minimum amount of time to be spent gaining experience. Details can be found on Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

Use the Do-it website or contact Volunteering Matters for details of relevant voluntary work. may be able to help you find opportunities for work experience. The Careers & Employability Service also have charity partners and these are listed here in the Volunteering Opportunities Booklet.

Funding for the BA route will be through the normal channels for any other degree, accessing student finance etc.

The MA route can be self-funded, paid for by a postgraduate loan or you can also apply for a bursary from the NHS Bursary Services Authority.

When using the search courses tool on UCAS choose the Undergraduate option to find MA in Social Work course.


Chris Biggs

Senior Careers Adviser

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: