Conversion Masters, Other Subjects and Career Change

At the start of my final year I decided that I didn’t have a professional interest in my subject anymore. Thinking and accepting this are two different things entirely. My inner voice would say:

 “This has taken three years so your stuck with it

             What will your family say?”

                          Everyone else seems fine about this

                                     …okay smart guy, what will you do instead!?!…stick with this!”

Ultimately, the only person who can make a decision on this is you, because it’s your future. But what I can confidently tell you is that there is life after the Bachelors for those who stick with their subject and those who don’t.

“Be brave about your future and try not to follow the crowd, they could be feeling the same as you”

If you do decide that you would like to study a Masters, but not in the same subject, there are a wealth of other subjects and conversion Masters that just may be the perfect fit for your tastes and careers aspirations.

What is a conversion Masters?

Conversion courses are intensive postgraduate programmes that allow individuals to pursue a career that their undergraduate degree or professional career hasn’t prepared them for. They’re usually vocational and last between a few months and several years, depending on the qualification and whether you choose fast-track, full-time or part-time study (per Prospects).

Conversion course information

Types of conversion Masters

MSc in Psychology: this is typically one year in duration (full-time) and provides Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership (GBC) giving the student a British Psychological Society (BPS) accreditation and a rote to become a Chartered Psychologist.

LLM in Law: this is typically one year in duration (full time) gives eligibility for training to become a Solicitor (LPC or SQE from 2021) or a Barrister (BPTC).

Medicine: this is available as a four-year fast-track course (full time). Some courses will accept students from any degree disciple whilst others may require a relevant subject such as Biology or Chemistry. Relevant work experience is essential.

Nursing and Allied Health Masters (pre-registry): these courses are typically two-years in duration (full-time). In relation to Nursing, training is available in the following four areas: adult, children, learning disability or mental health.

Other Allied Health Masters include Dietetics, Physiotherapy and Occupational Health, inter alia. Either route will give you Health and Care Professions Council Registration (HCPC) in order to work with patients and clients.

Engineering: these can range from one to two years in duration (full-time). Many will come with an integrated industrial placement. Although some providers accept non-related degree candidates, numeracy and science-based skills are paramount.

Social Work: this will normally last two years in duration and is a combination of assessments, dissertation and integrated placements. Completing the course will qualify you as a Social Worker.

“As well as traditional conversion Masters there are a plethora of Masters subjects that consider graduates from most degree disciplines”

Teacher Training?

Teacher training could also be the career change that you want and with options to train in a university or a school-setting. The added value of teacher training is that the funding stream is separate from Masters so you could do both (but not at the same time). Teacher training is available in Early Years, Primary, Secondary and Further Education age-groups as well as specialisms and subject expertise.

Get into teaching

A second degree in Nursing?

There is also an exception to student finance allowing prospective graduates to study a second degree in Nursing with a second undergraduate loan (instead of a post-graduate loan). This is advantageous because the undergraduate loans are combined rather than separated and repayments are exactly the same with or without a second student loan. A degree in Nursing will take between three to four years to complete.

Financial support in healthcare careers

How much does it cost?

As with a traditional Masters, prices vary. Where the course runs for two years (full time) there are bursaries available or where the course is an Allied Health course it is possible to apply for a second undergraduate loan in order to cover the two years.

Masters loan information

Will a conversion course enhance my career?

Before committing to a conversion course, ask yourself:

  • Is the qualification necessary for my (future) profession?
  • Is the qualification valued by employers?
  • How many graduates get jobs after doing this course?
  • Will it lead to a PhD or further study? (per Prospects)

“Knowing what you want, what it requires and what you need are the road to success”

Prospects provides to pages to aid your research regarding jobs related to your prospective Masters and a catalogue of job profile (see below). The Qualification section will give you clear information on the essential requirements of any occupation of interest.

What can I do with my subject?

Job profiles

How do I apply?

Most Masters are applied directly through the providing university (occasionally, this will be through UCAS). However, Masters in Nursing, Teaching and Social Work will require a UCAS application.


Prospects conversion courses

UCAS post-graduate

We’re still here to help!

As always, the Careers and Employability is here to help, even in these difficult times. You can access us, via email, telephone or video call by emailing as well as My Careers Centre.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: